Monday 24 September 2012

My blog's midlife crisis

I haven't posted in a couple weeks, partly because I've been super mega wicked busy, and partly because I have had a bit of a bloggerlife crisis!

I guess, for a while at least, I felt like I didn't know where I fit in the bloggersphere - I refer to my blog as a fashion/beauty blog, but unlike a lot of f/bbloggers, I don't have the dollar to go out and spend my salary/hypothetical student loan on goodies to review! I am supporting my partner through his studies, which is the most selfless and rewarding thing I have ever done for anyone and I am so grateful (yes really!) to have this opportunity to help someone else! However, it does mean that my salary gets stretched across 2 people and there's not a lot left over for Chanel and Nars.  Unfortunately!  I wouldn't have it any other way right now, I really wouldn't, but at the same time I feel like a fake, saying I'm a f/bblogger, when I don't much to blog about!

On another level, I don't like people thinking that I'm vapid and obsessed with cosmetics.  I have been, sure, aren't we all (at least everyone who's reading this can empathise!)? I got obsessed about active skin care until I ruined my face and made my skin ridiculously sensitive, so I transferred to haircare.  Now my scalp is really sensitive (sigh) I have turned my attention to makeup ... which is making me break out!!.  It got to the stage where the weekend before last I tried a new foundation and it oxidised and turned me orange.  I didn't have time to reapply my usual, but I decided I would rather look like an oompa loompa rather than taking 30secs to remove my makeup and go out barefaced! Don't get me wrong -  I love makeup, I love fashion, I love changing up my look and being able to express myself through appearance.  But...I feel like all these perfect-looking bbloggers that wear 300 high-end products on their face before they leave the house, are making me feel like I should be doing that too.  And I don't think I want to!

I suppose my point is that I love blogging, I love the community and I love all of you guys reading this.  But I want my blog to be MORE than just a bblog.  I want to write out pensive, exploratory posts (much like this one ha) that bore everybody else.  One of the main reasons I started blogging was to meet new people - I've moved around so much the last few years that I have lost touch with most of my friends, and although this is now changing, I don't want to lose the bblogger community that I am just beginning to become part of.

Anyway, I just needed to get it out there, and maybe get some feedback? I don't really have a point to this post.  I know I want to post more, but I often feel that, as I don't have anything new to review,  I don't have any motivation/inspiration for posts!  I guess I want this blog to convey ME and lots of personality etc; I don't want it to be a faceless, nameless bblog.  I just don't know how to go about it!

Thoughts?!

Tali xxxxxxxxxxxxx



2 comments:

  1. I am also supporting my partner in his studies at the moment, as well as his daughter who comes to see us every fortnight.

    My blog is a beauty/lifestyle blog, so when I have no money to buy anything or nothing to blog about beauty wise I can always do lifestyle posts.

    However, I have recently been getting a few samples of products to review. They are completely free and its essentially trying before you buy. I don't know whether anybody looks at it badly - trying samples I mean - but in my eyes I can't afford to be buying full products to review them and I will buy the ones I like when I have the money.

    Maybe this could be an idea for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anybody should just shove their blog into a category.
    A blog is basically a journal/diary?
    So write whatever you want! You can be sure that you have at least one reader.
    I love fashion and beauty but i also love other things. I try to blog about whatever i feel like but sometimes you do feel like you should be writing about certain things in this community.
    Although whats the point in reading 10 million identical posts about the same foundation... boring!! once i've read a couple i usually ignore the rest.

    Write what you feel, you'll appeal to somebody :)
    It doesn't have to be constant reviews, maybe you could do some outfit posts or talk about something you love doing? a hobby or something?
    Write about your day?
    Write about your life, your past?
    Let something/anything inspire you, read other blogs and take inspiration from them.

    I write for myself, i just write the sort of posts i like reading.
    I don't feel any pressure to post all the time, i've been absent for a while and i just posted an outfit post today.

    Never let it become a chore, it should be fun.
    :)


    http://belle-boudoir.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...