Wednesday 13 June 2012

MENU: Sea bass with citrus-dressed broccoli

I've never done a recipe post before but thought I would give it a go.  This is a recipe I cooked last week for the first time, and it's so tasty I'm afraid I'm just going to have to share it!  I will openly admit it's not a dish I invented - I get most of my ideas from bbcgoodfood.com/recipes and totally recommend this site.  I was mega impressed with the recipe and the way the dish turned out, and even my boyfriend, Mike, (a previous fish phobic, but I've got him onto salmon, then trout, cod and now sea bass!) loved it!

What you need:


  • Sea bass.  I actually bought some fillets from The Saucy Fish Co. (a franchise sold by most supermarkets) because (a) they're sustainably/responsibly farmed, (b) they're actually the same price/cheaper than Sainsburys own brand and (c) all Saucy Fish Co fillets come with a special sauce - the sea bass comes with beurre blanc, which complimented it perfectly and tasted a-MAZE-ing.  
  • Broccoli.  I used frozen broccoli because I happened to have it in my freezer, but fresh would be fine, if not better!
  • 1 orange
  • Good olive oil.  I'm olive oil obsessed and always go for extra virgin speciality (sainsburys taste the difference do some really good ones).  It makes all the difference to quality and taste, and one of my favourite comfort food is some bread with a pot of olive oil.  But I digress...
  • New potatoes
  • [Optional] 4 tbsp Capers, 1 lemon and 6 anchovies.  I didn't use these, mostly because Mike isn't ready for anchovies yet, even though I keep telling him how tasty they are!
  • [Optional, depending on how healthy you're feeling that day!] butter

How to cook it:



  • Preparation:
    • Score the skin of the sea bass fillets; 5 or 6 times at ~1cm intervals.  Season with a little sea salt and pepper.
    • Peel and segment the orange.  Squeeze the juice from ~half the orange, and keep the other half in segments for later.
    • Clean the new potatoes, and boil some water
    • [Optional] zest the lemon
  • Place the potatoes in the boiling water, and leave to simmer for ~15-20minutes.  Meanwhile...
  • Cook the broccoli.  As mine was frozen I steamed it for ~8minutes, but fresh will of course take less time (maybe 3 minutes?).  As the broccoli is cooking, heat up a frying pan and, once the veg is cooked, drain the broccoli and tip it into the hot frying pan to scorch and dry the florets off.
  • Take the frying pan off the heat and toss in the orange segments, along with 1.5-2tbsp of olive oil and the orange juice.  Season with pepper and sea salt, and then set aside.
  • Clean the pan, and add 2 tbsp of olive oil.  Heat up on a high setting until very hot.  Place the sea bass fillets in the pan skin-side down, and push down on the ends to stop them from curling up.  
  • Reduce heat down to a medium setting, and leave the fish to cook for 3-4 minutes, until you can see the fillet is cooked about 2/3 of the way up.
  • Flip the fillets over and cook for ~2minutes.  Once done, rest on a warm plate, basting in the oil and the juices from the pan.
  • [Optional] Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the pan, and put it back on high heat.  Once hot, add the anchovies and capers and stir until they start to crisp.  Grate over the lemon zest and add the juice of 1/2 the lemon.
  • Drain the potatoes and [optional] add a bit off butter and sea salt to flavour

Serve up!!

(Recipe (slightly adapted) and picture from here)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...